Thursday, October 13, 2011

My French Kiss (Went A Little Like This)



Synopsis (Thanks Goodreads): Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home.

As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near-misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?


-----

Dear Stephanie Perkins, can we be friends? Please??

No? No worries, it's cool. I'll just be here. Weeping silently on my copy of your book.

*sniffles*

I'll make this short because I don't want to give anything away.

This book was recommended by a lovely Australian girl I met at an event at Books of Wonder here in NYC. She didn't tell me what the book was about, only that I had to read it. The mystery behind her recommendation made for a really great reading experience. So, I am going to share that with you...

I read Anna and the French Kiss within twenty-four hours. I was hooked on page one and cracking up by page two.

True story.

I even catch myself daydreaming about Paris, where the majority of the book takes place. Here's the thing: I've been there twice, and I loved the city, but I feel like I need to go back and experience the sights as Stephanie described them. I feel like I missed out on something special. Or maybe her writing is so special it makes even the most common tourist destination sound like a world of rare enchantment. Does that make sense? Was that too much for you?

Honestly, I just can't stop thinking about this book, especially the characters. They came to life so easily in my head because they were flawed and imperfect (as they should be). Stephanie didn't create typical or predictable relationships either and, sadly, we just don't see enough of that.

*le sigh*

My words can never describe just how fantastic this book is. Just go buy it.

I'll leave you with one word, though: Ettiene. *swoons*

Side Note: I am really looking forward to reading Perkins' follow-up novel, Lola and The Boy Next Door (September 2011).

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...