Friday, October 28, 2011

The Study of Poison


Synopsis (Goodreads): About to be executed for murder, Yelena is offered an extraordinary reprieve. She'll eat the best meals, have rooms in the palace--and risk assassination by anyone trying to kill the Commander of Ixia.

And so Yelena chooses to become a food taster. But the chief of security, leaving nothing to chance, deliberately feeds her Butterfly's Dust--and only by appearing for her daily antidote will she delay an agonizing death from the poison.

As Yelena tries to escape her new dilemma, disasters keep mounting. Rebels plot to seize Ixia and Yelena develops magical powers she can't control. Her life is threatened again and choices must be made. But this time the outcomes aren't so clear...

-----

Poison Study is the first book in Maria V. Snyder's Study Series and hot damn, did I enjoy this book!

I was instantly sold on the jacket's description and the book lived up to every word.  Let's put it this way, my employers are lucky I showed up to work because I was this close to feigning illness just so I could stay, curled in bed, with the main characters, Yelena and Valek. 

Uh...let's pretend that didn't sound dirty, shall we?

Snyder brought a really interesting story to life with this novel. The fast paced adventure made it easy to immerse myself in the militaristic, almost-totalitarian dynamics of Ixia, which you can't help but compare to today's society.

Let's not forget about Yelena, who proves to be an intelligent, strong, and very much ass-kicking heroine as the novel progresses. Also, I may not want to admit this, but I still drool over the very sexy Valek, whom I'm convinced is a trained ninja!

Poison Study is a fascinating and memorable read. It's a very special book and can't recommend it enough!

** The next book in the trilogy is Magic Study.

6 comments:

  1. Love love love Maria V. Snyder!!! She creates some spectacular worlds!! Yelena is by far one of my favorite characters! I don't think I've used enough exclamation points!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good, this is my first time hearing of it! :)

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this book. I have the next in my TBR pile, but am currently swamped with other obligations. I can't wait to get back to this series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @carole - I love meeting Maria V. Snyder fans! We're all so loyal :)

    @Amber - Thanks for following! You definitely need to pick it up. Such a great book!

    @tweezle - Stop what you're doing and go finish the series. It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this book. I LOVE Yelena, and LOVE LOVE LOVE isn't strong enough for how I feel about Valek (oh my! My tummy feels all tingly just mentioning his name!).

    BFF and I saw Maria V. Snyder at an author event in Sydney a couple of months ago, and she was seriously fun. Any mention of Valek, and you just hear this high pitched 'SQUEEEE!' from the girls in the audience (*cough* like me *cough*). Incidently, how she says 'Yelena' (Yell-ain-a) sounded really funny to my Australian ears (I'd always imagined it as Yel-en-a).

    I also loved Magic Study, but was really dissapointed by Fire Study. Would love to hear your thoughts on it. And the Glass trilogy, which is a sequel to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sarah - Ahhh!! So jealous you got to meet her! I absolutely love her books. I have the Glass trilogy but I haven't started reading them. They're near the top of my list.

    Oooh, I pronounced it Yell-en-a as well. That's cool to know, though.

    I know how you feel (about Fire Study). The review should be up in about 2 weeks :)

    Thanks for commenting!! Keep in touch (Tweet me)!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...