Thursday, February 23, 2012

Passion


Synopsis (Goodreads): Luce would die for Daniel.  And she has. Over and over again. Throughout time, Luce and Daniel have found each other, only to be painfully torn apart: Luce dead, Daniel left broken and alone. But perhaps it doesn’t need to be that way. . .

Luce is certain that something—or someone—in a past life can help her in her present one. So she begins the most important journey of this lifetime . . . going back eternities to witness firsthand her romances with Daniel . . . and finally unlock the key to making their love last.

Cam and the legions of angels and Outcasts are desperate to catch Luce, but none are as frantic as Daniel. He chases Luce through their shared pasts, terrified of what might happen if she rewrites history.

Because their romance for the ages could go up in flames . . . forever. 

-----

I'll be honest. I definitely struggled with this book.

Maybe I am a little burned out on paranormal/fantasy, or maybe I waited too long to actually read it, but it was really hard for me to get into Lauren Kate's Passion.

In the beginning everything Luce said or did annoyed me. She was stubborn and didn't listen, and she struggled with seeing what was always right in front of her.  Then Bill came along and he eased my frustrations. I began thinking, "YES! Things are finally getting good" because he added a much needed cynical and humorous voice to the story! And trust me, I appreciated that!

Honestly, had I been in Luce's position, I probably would have questioned this predestined romance, too. 

Uh...maybe. 

Okay, if the guy looked like Daniel? And he'd spent thousands of years lusting over me? Well, I'd probably be super okay with that situation.  I wouldn't question it at all! I'd kinda just go with it, you know?

*drools*

But back to the review... 

In the end, I guess I was proud of Luce for going out there and risking everything to figure things out for herself.  I just wished that it hadn't taken me reading 95% of the book before it actually got interesting. I enjoyed visiting Luce's past lives, but nothing really happened until the very end. 

Now, I know. You either love it or you hate it, but you have to admit there is something about this story that just leaves you wanting more. YES, some plot lines are a little wonky. YES, the overall delivery could have been a bit smoother. And YES, we're three books in and most of our questions are still unanswered. But I still think Lauren Kate has managed to create something really unique and gripping with the Fallen series.  For me, this rang true within the last chapters in Passion. I won't spoil it for you, but I will say that it made every maddening second a little less maddening.

I am  still looking forward to the final book in the series, Rapture (June 2012). I can't wait to see how this will end!!

Because Lauren Kate's Fallen series has become such a controversial subject, I am interested in knowing what you guys think! 


Do you LOVE IT or HATE IT? WHY??  

Post your comments below.

2 comments:

  1. Kristin! Kristin! Kristin! YesyesyesyesYES! *waves hands* THIS! What you said!
    No, this series isn't perfect, but it has SOMETHING compelling about it?
    And OH YES, by the end of Passion I was totally in love with, and broken hearted for, Daniel Grigori. Oh my goodness what the poor, broken boy has suffered the last 5000 years. It's just... Wow. I want to make it all better for both of them :,(
    And Luce! Yes! I gotta tell you, I hated her in Torment. She was either shunting that Daniel wasn't there, or bitching when he was. She needed to question their 'love' to affirm it's authenticity, that it WASN'T because of the curse, but because they're made for each other, and she's been made and re-made for him over and over. She needed to question Thr way thugs were for mento have any respect for her. I was so SO proud of her for doing so, I just wished she didn't have to be such a bloody prat while she did. I may have had to murder her if Bill wasn't around. I couldn't believe how much I wound up loving Passion, but I SO understand your struggles with it. Like we discussed, the episodic chapters would make t so easy to out down and walk away from. But Eeee! So stoked the overall result for you was enjoyment.

    Oooh, can I tell you one thing that bothered me? Luce's dress in the bit in France. Errrr, I gt what Kate was doing (the covers, I get it), but there is NO WAY a young, available, marriageable lady would've worn black to a ball. Hmph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly.. I didn't like it. The first book in the serie was ok, but the others two OMG. Luc is, well, I don't get her and her decisions annoyed me. I mean, what the hell? And Daniel, God Daniel, he is frustrating. And the whole point of the third book.. I didn't see the point. He told her in every single way that he loves her and she still doesn't believe it. And that Bill, yes I totally agree that he brought the story some humor and some SENSE.

    I will still read the forth book, but this isn't one of the best series I've ever read..

    Great review Kristin!! :) ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...